Sunday, March 22, 2020

And an earthquake...

We are taking the Covid19 threat seriously and are lying low, although Roy loves to go to the grocery store.  I keep telling him that the grocery store is probably the most dangerous place to be right now, but I guess it's his outlet. 
Wednesday morning brought a new experience for me and maybe most of us as we were literally shaken awake by a 5.7 magnitude earthquake.  I should say shaken more awake, because Roy and I were both awake, but still lying in bed.  It's a little harder to get up and get going early when there's no place you have to be.  
Though it seems there isn't much going on as life has temporarily been put on hold; a lot happened this week.  Nan and Bruce's mission was closed down in a day and they were on there way home the next.  They arrived home Saturday night.  They will self quarantine for a couple of weeks (of course, we're all self quarantining, so it's not much different from anyone else).  James was also waiting for a flight out of Ethiopia but I haven't heard yet if he is on his way.  Jason Cook, Bruce's grandson has opted to stay in the Dominican Republic (in his mission it was left up to the missionary and the families).  I believe Grant Nielson will soon be on his way home as well.  Phil mentioned in his letter that Grant has served 20 months, but because of his diabetes, he will be released now.  I know that Dave's grandson, Colin Norton, is in California. I am assuming he will stay there as he hasn't been out long.

Our governor called for a weekend of prayer.  It is great to be involved in a spiritual effort with our larger community, even while being sequestered in our own homes.  

On two different mornings this week, I helped grandchildren with their homework.  Oli came over one morning, and Yuna the next.  I enjoyed it, but Caitlyn gave me a hard time.  She works at a doctor's office and said that I probably shouldn't even take the chance of associating with my grand kids.  That makes me sad.  I think that Caitlyn's at the highest risk of any of us because of her work situation, so she may be right in thinking that the kids need to stay away.  

Sara's dad was able to drive by and wave to his grandchildren yesterday.  With his pending heart surgery (and the previous botched attempt), it is especially important for him to stay away from people.  After he drove by Nick's house, he drove by his parents home where Sara's grandma is nearing the end of her life.  Sadly, he could only drive by and wave.

Last week I mentioned that we took over Nick's chicken coop since our chickens were bigger and needed to be separated from our older, meaner chickens. So, we owed Nick a coop.  Roy went over yesterday and helped to put it together.  We definitely got the best end of this deal, as Nick had spent 9 hours putting our coop together, and this time, Roy only showed up to help him assemble his.  It was a quicker 6 hours in this last attempt.


Catharine and Nick
This picture wasn't taken yesterday, but it's an example of how Avie is
entertaining herself and her parents during this period of
isolation.  Besides make-up (which Effie applied), she has enjoyed
cracking eggshells on the floor and crumbling crackers
on the bed.  Everyone needs something to do, right?

I have made bread a couple of times this week and
realize that I'm out of practice.  Though they tasted
great, my loaves would have failed miserably
on the Great British Baking show.  This white
loaf was over-raised, and my whole wheat ones
cracked in the oven.  Bread making is easy, but
it's an art.
Having our Come Follow Me and our "at-home" Sacrament meeting.


Videos like the one above of Bridget make us so happy! 

Roy is making a turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, and cranberry sauce for our Davis County kids to get a drive by dinner.  He bought individual chocolate milk to give to the kids.  He's a great example of ministering.  He has kept tabs on all his families, helped our  own children, and is aware and helpful to elderly neighbors.  He's in his element when he's serving others.  

My testimony has been strengthened through all of this.  I know that we have a prophet.  He is inspired and directed by God and it has been obvious.  He is mindful of his flock--Nan told us of the miracles it took to get as many missionaries out of the Congo as they did.  I am so looking forward to General Conference and the messages of faith, patience and hope that we will certainly hear.  I am grateful to my Heavenly Father for the leadership of the prophet and the apostles, that we can be prepared to face uncertain times as we follow their counsel.

No comments:

Post a Comment