Sunday, March 11, 2018

Adventures and Misadventures

I had quite a shock today when the 1st counselor in Relief Society (Kelly)  looked at me and asked me if I needed the podium for my lesson.  Last I'd heard, my lesson was supposed to be last week (on ward conference), so I'd been scratched off the list.  The leader (the previous 2nd counselor who has since moved) asked me if it was okay if she didn't change the whole calendar and I had a month off teaching.  I had agreed.  Somewhere in the changing of the leaders, a new list of lessons had been submitted and passed along.  The only problem was, I didn't get it.  I borrowed Kelly's Ensign and read (luckily re-read) the article from this past General Conference during opening exercises.  It was entitled Value Beyond Measure.  I had a few ideas come into my head (I would have liked some questions to magically appear also, but I'm not that lucky), I jotted them down and then winged it.  Gratefully, it's hard to mess up a good conference talk, and it's a discussion format, so all went well.

I had another shock yesterday when Roy and I were out looking at swing sets for the grandchildren.  We looked in one store and headed back to the car.  I saw the Prius, opened the door, climbed in and sat down.  I then glanced over the back seat and saw that there were no boxes from previous purchases.  That's when it suddenly dawned on me that the Prius I was sitting in was not our Prius.  I quickly climbed out and headed to our car--not the Prius.  My wonderful, thoughtful, kind, and loyal husband was standing there watching me.  He did not ask, "Where are you going?" or "What are you doing?"  He did not say, "Catharine that is not our car."  He just watched and waited.  He wanted to see how long it would take me to realize that I was being completely brain dead (with that said, I am reminded that we should not criticize ourselves because we are children of God and of infinite worth).

While that was an embarrassing experience, I am afraid that it is not my "most embarrassing experience."  I am sure I have many experiences that would clamor for the position, but one that came to mind recently was from a couple of summers past in Cancun.  We were visiting the ruins (Chichen Itza and listening to a guide.  I went up and put my hand on Roy's shoulder.  I could feel his gaze on me and turned to look at him and lo and behold, it wasn't Roy.  The man was looking at me with an expression on his face that said, "Just what do you think you're doing?".  I laughed with embarrassment and told him I thought he was my husband.  He was kind, though, because I ran into him later in the day and he said, "I want to introduce you to my 'real wife.' After that I was able to laugh it off.

I had the privilege this week of seeing Little Mermaid again.  This time I took Ori and Yuna.  I had thought the rule was they had to be 5, but when I found out the age restriction was 3, I figured this was a play that Yuna and Ori needed to see, too, so I bought three more tickets.  We took our seats about 15 minutes early.  That was a bit early to sit down for 4-year-olds.  Yuna was so excited she kept kneeling on her seat and smiling at the people behind us.  They were nice and patient, so it wasn't a problem.  Ori leaned over and said, "She's just a little hyper right now."  I had to explain to both of them why Ariel sang songs after she gave her voice away.  I have to admit that this could be confusing. I told them she was just thinking or dreaming.  At Ursula's demise, Ori asked me if she was dead.  I said she was, then when she came on stage for the bow, Ori said, "I thought you said Ursula was dead."  Both of them really enjoyed the play and they were very good.  Ori wasn't going to take any pictures, but when Yuna got in with Ursula, she changed her mind--however, when we met Ariel and Eric, she would not get in with Yuna for a picture.  One of them (I think Ori) told her parents that Ursula was really mean, but then she was really nice when we talked with her after.

Ori and Yuna.
Yuna with Ariel and Eric--I didn't realize I cut his head off. 
I was kind of in a hurry.  As you can see (if you read my last letter,
this was a different cast from the one I took the
other grandkids to.


We also saw another play this week--Barefoot in the Park, starring Sierra Christensen.  She's really a good actress.  We were a little worried about Andrew,, as in this play she played a very kissy newlywed, at least for the first scene or 2.  The guy who played opposite her was pretty cute--and unmarried.  We suggested Sierra line him up with Eliza.  We took Grandpa Rasband with us to the play, and he seemed to enjoy it, even though it ended an hour or so past his bedtime and we still had to deliver him back to Syracuse.  It made for a long night for me and Roy.  We didn't get to bed until midnight, but it was worth it to spend a little time with Verl.



Sierra with her "other husband"  We thought (after we left)
that we should have taken a picture with her since we were
able to talk to her for a minute.
Saturday afternoon Roy and I drove up to the U of U where Gunnar was involved in a Chess Tournament.  He won a trophy that said, "Outstanding."  He was pretty proud of it.  It was fun to watch him play (from a distance) though it's not much of a spectator sport.  It was fun because he was so animated, which was interesting since the rule was "no talking during the game."  They  obviously aren't strict with this rule for 1st graders.  It was also obvious that he really understands the game and the rules involved. 



Saturday night was a lot of fun.  We had decided to host our family on Saturday instead of Sunday.  Everyone came over and we had Matt start a fire in the fire-pit.  We gathered a few chairs, some roasting sticks and hot dogs and marshmallows, and let the kids cook their own dinner.  Caitlyn had set up the trampoline earlier that day, even though she was busy getting ready for a dance (girls choice) that evening.  Everyone contributed to the dinner, which was excellent, as usual. Some of us had a tender discussion by the fire that helped us to feel the spirit. 
No pictures were taken (that I know of) except this one by Matt:  He said, "Ruby, don't sit in that--but let me get a picture."



I had a hard experience earlier on Saturday.  I had invited Heeyoung to dinner with our family.  Her text read "Thank you for your consideration and kindness all the time.  I have been thought of coming to your house today.  But I think I'd better not.  Since I don't belong to your family, being with your family members remind me of what I lack of: my own parents.  At first I didn't realize but now I know now what I felt like at your house: lonlier.  I am sorry I feel like this way.  You know, I am not a normal person who doesn't have parents and supporting husband." 

This broke my heart.  I texted back to her "That makes me feel so bad.  I love having you be a part of our family for a little while." I thought a little more about this and decided that family was only part of what makes Heeyoung feel lonely at our house.  I think she feels she is missing something else in her life--the spirit.  I won't give up, though.  I think she'll still be receptive to a friendship with me (at least I hope).  They go back to Korea in June, so I don't have a lot of time. 

I tended Ollie and Finn for an hour or so when Adrienne went to her Doctor's appointment.  She is getting close.  We expect her new little one on April 10.  In this picture they are showing me their muscles.  It was a good thing to ask for, because Ollie won't usually smile for pictures.


Caitlyn ready for her dance in "80"s dress.
And Happy birthday to Barb and Char (and Crista a little later this month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment